Saturday, October 08, 2005

AND NOW FOR A MOMENT OF…NONNIE!


I was leafing through my electronic photo archive tonight and stumbled upon this photo. It’s of a fully-haired, tackily-dressed, 19 year old Sal hanging out in the kitchen with his grandmother (whom I shall refer to as “Nonnie”…because that’s what I’ve called her since 1967).

I’ve mentioned Nonnie several times in the past (here and here). She is one of Italian-America’s great cooks, and here we see her putting the knife to a slab of fucazzo (i.e.,sort of a tomatoey onion pie with anchovies that all-but-guarantees that the person eating it will enjoy no romance during the following 24 hours).

Hey! If you can’t publish of photo of your grandmother for no particular reason, then what’s the point of having a damn blog?!

5 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger christina said...

Aww, what a great picture! Love the undershirt. And the grandmother.

This is making me all nostalgic. I don't have any pictures of my 'Nonna' right now - they're all in Vancouver with my parents. Must remember to bring some back next year.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Hey Mausi:

Don't fail to notice the gold chain dangling in front of the undershirt. Boy...the things that seem to make "fashion sense" to a 19 year old!

Nonnie is still alive and kicking, as is her husband ("Poppie") and my other grandmother. Perhaps there's a connection between anchovies and longevity.

Sal

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

I LOVE this picture! I want to meet Nonnie - and maybe the 19 year old Sal, too. :-)

My nieces and nephews called my Mom, Nonna. First, because her mom lived to be 94 and so she was alive and kicking and already had taken "Grandma" and secondly, because my Mom felt that Grandma in Italian didn't feel so old. :-)

Cousin Fool

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Hey C.Fool:

You and Nonnie would probably get along very well. You have a common interest. Her cooking days are mostly behind her...but her mind is still a cooking encyclopedia.

As for a 19 year-old Sal, I'm sure he'd want to meet you too. You know how 19 year-old guys are. ;-)

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

A thousand years ago, Ms. Pepperpot. [sigh]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home