Friday, February 03, 2006

FOUR-PLAY.


Our leiderhosen-wearing, handlebar-moustached, apple-cheeked Bavarian friend ChicagoKarl “tagged” me to participate in a meme.

Memes are a good way to fill blog-space; particularly during days when your brain isn’t up to the task of generating original content. Today is one of those days.

So, without further ado (whatever the hell “ado” means)...

FOUR JOBS IVE HAD:
- Busboy at a country club restaurant: This was my first job. Here’s a bit of advice for teenagers who’ve been offered a busboy job at a posh country club restaurant—be sure that you’ve dined in a posh restaurant at least once in your life before accepting the job.

- General jack-of-all-unskilled-trades at a steel foundry: From painting to parts counting to shovelling sand off the roof to keep it from collapsing. I even got to wear a hardhat every day. Now, I wear a skirt.

- Marketing guy in the corporate headquarters of a business forms manufacturer: You may not know this, but most chicks don’t find business forms sexy.

- Attorney for a telecom equipment provider: Did I say telecom? I meant low-carb tongue depressors.

FOUR MOVIES I CAN WATCH OVER AND OVER:
- Enter the Dragon.
- A Christmas Story.
- Any of the Pink Panther movies.
- Woodstock.

FOUR PLACES I’VE LIVED:
- Utica, NY
- Hermitage, PA
- Naperville, IL
- Barcelona and Cabanillas del Campo, Spain

FOUR TV SHOWS I LOVE(D):
- The Twilight Zone.
- Lazytown.
- Get Smart.
- Any of Michael Palin’s travel documentaries (e.g., Around the World in 80 Days; Pole to Pole; Full Circle; Hemingway Adventure; Sahara; Himalaya).

FOUR BOOKS I’VE READ THIS YEAR:
- “Catch-22” by Joseph Heller.
- “A Short History of Nearly Everything” by Bill Bryson.
- “Travels with my Donkey: One Man and his Ass on a Pilgrammage to Santiago” (aka, “Spanish Steps” in Europe) by Tim Moore.
- “A Confederacy of Dunces” by John Kennedy Toole.

FOUR PLACES I’VE VACATIONED:
- Alberobello, Italy.
- Anchorage, Alaska.
- Patzcuaro, Mexico.
- Calgary/Banff, Canada.

FOUR FAVORITE DISHES:
- Chicken or lamb vindaloo.
- BBQ’d spareribs.
- Ramen noodles (the real stuff...not the type you buy for ten cents in the supermarket).
- Thai Salads.

FOUR SITES I VISIT DAILY:
- All of the blogs listed on my sidebar.
- BBC News.
- The Virtual Weber Bullet.
- New York Times.

FOUR PLACES I’D RATHER BE RIGHT NOW:
- Jogging anywhere that’s warm, sunny and has little traffic.
- Eating Indian food on Devon Street in Chicago.
- A sauna in Lapland during an aurora borealis with a glass of vodka in my hand.
- Don’t care, as long as I’m with my daughter.

FOUR BLOGGERS I’VE TAGGED TO CONTINUE THIS MEME:
- I’ll follow Mausi’s lead, and tag any bloggers reading this who are experiencing a “bad brain day.”

That's all four now.

13 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Four play ... you outrageous man, you! (and clearly slightly clever as well) You made me laugh when I wandered by tonight.

A 'bad brain day'?
'Why' ... she writes, her face a picture of surprised innocence, 'I simply can't imagine having a 'bad day with my brain'.

Perhaps when I'm older ;)

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

A marketing guy for business forms? I just can't imagine that!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Lady Di: My bad brain days always seem to come on the weekends. I think relaxation is poisonous for some of us. I'll take a Monday over a Sunday any day.

Beep: I really liked marketing. But business forms? Snoozer. But still, it was better than being a busboy at a country club.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger nyana said...

Aren't Thai Salads great? I discovered it many years ago in Thailand (get that!) and have been hooked since. I'll be posting a recipe on my website soon, would be honoured if you checked it out.
All the more power to vegetables!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger christina said...

Ahhh, four-play! Now I get it. After you've been married for about 150 years you kind of forget what that is. :-)

But how could I forget The Twighlight Zone and Get Smart? Required viewing around our house all those many years ago.

Sooo...let me get this straight, business forms are not sexy, but low-carb tongue depressors and men in skirts are? I better go write that down.


"Don't mind him, he's from Barcelona."

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Nyana: Thai salads are nature's most perfect creation. When you post your recipe, we can all check it out. I've linked your site on my sidebar. In the meantime, check out this: http://saldetraglia.blogspot.com/2004/06/thai-me-up-thai-me-down.html

Christina: I'm not going to touch the tongue-depressor matter. It's just too easy. BTW...were it not for my fear of being accused of plagerism, I would've added "Fawlty Towers" on my Four-play post.

"My little nest of vipers."

Sal

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger nyana said...

Sal, thank you for adding me, will do the same.
Unfortunately, I cannot get into my own blog at the moment - I'm locked out people! -- Will post the recipe asap!

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Tim Moore's Spanish Step's and Bill's Short History is in my 'to read' pile (I've read all of his others). As for Indian food, I'm so there and we're actually off to a Thai buffet today. Great blog. I'll be blog rolling you :)

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Hey Alison:

Thanks for de-lurking yourself, and also for the link. I've added you to my sidebar as well.

I've read all of Tim Moore's books and loved all of them (except "Do Not Pass Go"...which was good, but you probably need to be a Londoner to appreciate). I especially liked "Continental Drifter" and "Frost on my Moustache." He doesn't write as cleanly as Bill Bryson, but he packs in more wit per square inch than any writer I've found.

BTW, are you still writing the Expatica Belgium blog or has it passed to V-grrrrl?

Sal

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Alison said...

I have "do not pass go" in my pile too... Since I've only been to London for 3 days, I'll let you know if your theory holds true. I am still writing weekly for Expatica Belgium although I seem to have been demoted to the bottom of the page :) (Hoping my sarcasim wasn't too much for them) :)

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger christina said...

What? No tongue depressor double entendres? Darn.

Every time I come here I either leave giggling or hungry, and this time, with all the talk of Thai salad, hunger is at the top of the list. And thanks to my husband the condiment king, we just happen to have three (count 'em!) bottles of fish sauce in the cupboard. But this being Germany on a Sunday, all I can do is stare at them and wait until tomorrow when the stores will actually be open so I can buy the other ingredients.

Such is the life of an expat.*sigh*


"I'm afraid we're all out of waldorfs"

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger nyana said...

Totally off topic, yet speaking of Four-Play - has anyone seen the Fantastic Four movie? I was a bit disappointed but the picture looks quite good! Giggles and food... Christina is right.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Alison: Sarcasm hasn't scared my editor yet. Fight the good fight!

Nyana: I haven't yet seen the Fantastic Four movie, but the reviews I've read were less than flattering. I did, however, see Hellboy a few years ago (which was based on a comic book), and lovvvvved it.

Euro-Trac: I *have* named my smoker, but that shouldn't dissuade you from drinking more Spanish wine.

Christina:
"Would you please stop talking about the war?!"
"Well, you started it!"
"No I didn't!!"
"Yes you did! You invaded Poland!!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home