Friday, June 02, 2006

FRIDAY NIGHT VIDEOS: JOHNNY WINTER PLAYS DYLAN.



Our good friend Euro-Trac recently introduced me to YouTube. I might’ve been the last person on earth to learn about it.

YouTube is a huge collection of video files submitted by users. The videos can then be accessed by anyone with a broadband connection and a sufficiently pitiful social life.

Best of all, most video files are accompanied by a hunk of source code that can be embedded into a blog.

Now...the main focus of this Virtual Tapas Bar is supposed to be writing. But hey...this YouTube video thing is just too seductive to resist. So I am pleased to announce a new, non-regular feature of this VTB: Friday Night Videos.

Every Friday or so, I’ll embed whichever YouTube video has been keeping me awake at night.

And I am pleased to announce that our first installment features my all-time favorite electric guitarist—Johnny Winter.

Johnny stepped onto stage at Bob Dylan’s 30th Anniversary Celebration concert in 1993 and punched a hole in the stratosphere with an absolutely blistering performance of “Highway 61 Revisited.” I feel so, so sorry for the poor bastard that had to follow him on stage that night.

Watch this video and I’m sure you’ll agree that Johnny is the greatest 110 pound, cross-eyed, heavily-tattooed, albino, blues guitarist ever.

9 Comments:

At 2:09 AM, Blogger Mike B said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Mike B said...

I read this post after I posted my most recent post.

I realize it technically was posted on Early Saturday Morning, but since that was what most of us would call Late Friday Nite, please accept it as my entry for this week's FNV.

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! And here I am with dial up! Hey Sal! How goes it? I'm presuming Johnny is related to Edgar? Son perhaps? You have heard of Edgar Winter right? Please say yes even if you have to lie because I am suddenly feeling EXTREMELY old!!!!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I guess the "You Tube" is more a thing for OrangeX, not because you wrote: "... anyone with a broadband connection and a sufficiently pitiful social life". I just hope he doesn't discover it too soon. He might just turn my (our) blog into a music video blog.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

C-Swiss: Yeah, I can see how YouTube could be more of a guy thing. But I'd be surprized if Mr. X doesn't already know. It seems to be the hottest thing in cyberspace this year. YouTube, like absinthe or William Shatner, is perfectly fine in moderation. I wouldn't break-out the bullwhip just yet.

Granny Jo: Long time, eh? I'm way behind on my blog reading lately. Last I checked, you were about to close on a new house. Johnny is indeed Edgar's big brother. C'mon...it would've been too much a coincidence that two albino rockers from the 1970's with the same last name were unrelated. I'm an Edgar fan, too. Nobody tops Johnny in my musical world.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

That's what I'm afraid of, Sal: the moderation. I ain't sayin' naaahthing ;-)

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger christina said...

Wow! I'm sure I've heard of this guy before, but I must not have been paying attention. I wonder where talent like that comes from?

YouTube is the BEST. Definitely not just a guy thing.

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Awwww...damn, Trac! Did you tell Dylan that we were broadcasting his intellectual property without a license?!

It was a really rip-snortin' performance. Definitely better than Elton John.

Fear not for F-Justin. He'll arrive in your mailbox just as soon as Gordon Brown is sworn in.

BTW...love them Buffalo Boots.

Sal

 
At 3:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

::WHEW:: I was shaking in my wallabys for a minute there! I never got any exposure to Johnny I'm afraid. My lifestyle at the time sort of "prevented" it. Anyhow, don't worry about the blog reading, I haven't done much posting. We have closed and we are working frantically at unpacking and dealing with the yard. I have GOT to get corn, squash, and tomatoes planted at the very least! Want to sponser a tree? ::wink::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home