Tuesday, June 20, 2006

ONE DEGREE OF SLIM WHITMAN?

Remember my April 2006 post about Slim Whitman?

Well...some time last night while I slept, I received the following, titilating Comment from an anonymous source:

At 5:17 AM, Anonymous said...

Slim Whitman is a friend of mine and I'm very familiar with the TV commercial you mention. It never stated that He had sold more records than elvis and the Beatles. It stated that he had a number one record in the UK for a longer period of time. eleven consecutive weeks. I have viewed the commercial 100's of times.


Are your hearts beating as quickly as mine? Is it possible that there’s a mere one degree of separation between this VTB and the legend himself?

I wasted no time firing-off the following response:

Hello Anonymous:

You're probably right about the Beatles/Elvis reference. It's been 20+ years since I've seen this commercial, so I was going by memory.

But that's not important. What is important is your statement that Slim is a friend of yours. Can you give us any kind of update on what Slim has been up to, his state of health, etc.? If you do, then I'll write a post around it. We need to know.

Thanks for writing. I've always wondered if Slim realized the cult following he had amongst American Jr. High Schoolers in the 1980's.

Sal


And now, we wait...and hope...and pray.

Will this shadowy, anonymous Commenter provide the details on a 21st century Slim that we so hungrily seek?

Or...is it possible that the unthinkable will happen, and the great man himself will make a triumphant appearance in the VTB chat lounge?

Please join me in the following chant: "WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!"

10 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger christina said...

LOL, trac! I don't think Slim would like that very much. Better not mention it when he shows up at the VTB.

(And can I just say how much Marilyn Manson creeps me out?)

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

You're the coolest, Trac!

What could be more surreal than the "coupling" of Slim Whitman and Marilyn Manson.

Believe it or not, I spent twenty minutes poking around YouTube trying to find a bit of Slim. I don't know how I missed the video that you linked. I encourage everyone in this VTB chat lounge to gather the children 'round the CRT and watch it.

Say what you will about Slim's music, but his voice is actually pretty impressive.

BTW...if they came to blows, I think Slim could take Marilyn. He was an athlete (minor league baseball) before gaining fame as a crooner, ya know.

Sal

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Marilyn is creepy ...

Ewwww!

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Mike B said...

Now that would have been a good Celeb Death Match combo.

And what a brush with greatness ... whod've though Slim would live on into the 21st century with such loyal friends & followers?

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Do you think it might even have Slim writing to you (incognito)?? I'll have a look at that video now as long as all are out for lunch.

 
At 2:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sent the Slim Whitman comment. I was president of the Slim Whitman Appreciation Society of the United States for 23 years and yes I call Slim my friend. His 89th CD was just relelased. He has recorded 541 individual songs. He has wall to wall gold and platinum records in his music room. He is retired living south of Jacksonville, Florida on his 40 acre farm called "Wood Pecker Paradise." He also has a home in the Florida Keys. He might be recording an LP of classic Western Cowboy tunes, although I doubt he will ever get to it. He is in his mid 80's now.
Last time I talked to him he was doing well and enjoying fishing.
If you're interested I have mant Slim whitman items for sale from our club days. I can be reached at:
flash@theriver.com
My name is Loren.

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger The Big Finn said...

Wait a second...
If you know somebody who knows Slim Whitman, isn't that technically 2 degrees of separation?

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Hey The Big Finn:

Yeah...I wondered about that when I was writing this post. How are degrees of separation calculated. In the end, I just applied common sense, which admittedly doesn't always serve me well--not because I don't have any, but because the rules of common sense so often don't apply.

Anyway, I calculated VTB...Loren...Slim. One...two...three. Seemed to make sense.

Then, after reading your Comment, I thought of another example. VTB...Slim. Is it one? Or zero? Hmmm...I'm thinking zero.

So, you may be right. I'm not really a numbers person. That's why so few of my posts on this VTB pertain to calculus.

However, I think there is a very simply resolution to this matter. Slim himself needs to contact us directly, and we can forget all thoughts of separation.

U da man!
Sal

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

TBF:

I just re-read my response to you, and it makes no sense whatsoever. That's what I get for trying to think logically ten minutes after waking up (yet before my first cup of Earl Grey). Let me try again.

VTB...Loren...Slim. That's only one stepping stone between us and the legend himself. That's why I assumed one degree.

But again...I could be wrong. And again, I think it's best to cut out the middleman and just have Slim over for the next VTB BBQ.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger christina said...

Why don't we just ask Kevin Bacon? He'd know.

I'm thinking having Slim Whitman over for a BBQ would be THE event of the century.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home