Tuesday, September 23, 2008

LIFE IS A CORONET.



When I was a wee lad at Thomas Jefferson Elementary School in Utica, NY during the early 1970s, my classmates and I were fed a steady diet of Coronet films.

Coronet films were produced, more or less, around the time that Howard Taft was contemplating a run for the White House. And they taught me important life lessons like...always stick with dad when using power tools. Or, don´t drink too much soda pop before bed. Or, how Billy keeps his body clean.

They also taught me that Thomas Jefferson Elementary School must've had a really, really paltry budget.

For years I've been telling people about Coronet films, hoping that someone...anyone...might leap to his feet and shout, "Coronet! OMG...you grew up with those, too?!!!" Instead, they crinkle their brows and mutter something about a revenue recognition meeting that they´re late for.

I was even starting to doubt my own memory when it hit me. YouTube! There might--just might--be a Coronet or two lurking in the bowels of YouTube.

Was there ever! I present an especially kitsch-o-licious nugget above. And no...it's not a parody. This is the stuff that made me what I am today.

Hat-making contest, anyone?

Thanks, but I think I'll go find that girl who was bobbing for apples on a string.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 3:55 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Ya know...the more I watch this film, the more surreal it seems.

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful film!

And how could they think that her "brother's roommate" (Steve) was interested in girls? In my experience "brother's roommate" is code for lover.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger mondraussie said...

"and part of a good party is knowing when to go home"... yeah, about the time they started the "fun party games" i reckon...

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Trac said...

It's obvious - the only reason anyone stayed was because EVERYONE fancied Steve!

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Sal, If I had know you'd be in Wisconsin, Ida baked you a cake...so near and yet so far. Wow, just entered your blog since, God knows when, and find you "Fat Sal"...ah, the good ol US of A.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Michael Lehet said...

We didn't have films, we had filmstrips with a cassette player that beeped at which point you would change advance to the next frame.

Of all the parties I've hosted, I've never played "Mixers" well that is unless you count mixing Dark & Light Liquors!

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

OMG! That was so funny! I MUST, MUST, MUST have a "Make your own hat" party! Well, maybe not. :D

And BTW, when IS the right time to leave? At TBFs, it's always shortly before they kick us out ;)

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger christina said...

Oh man, I must have been at all the wrong parties.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home