Thursday, August 24, 2006

NAME THAT MYSTERY [iPOD] MEAT!

Excuse me while I steal an idea from Mr. and Mrs. The Big Finn...which they, BTW, stole from someone else.

The idea is this...I crank-up my iPod Shuffle and write the opening lyrics to the first ten morsels of iPod meat that come screaming from the ear buds.

You, gentle readers, must correctly guess each song and its artist.

And, oh yeah...you are NOT allowed to Google.

Whoever guesses the most songs correctly will win a valuable prize. Bear in mind, however, that winning a prize and actually collecting it are two very different things.

And so, without further ado...let's play "Name That Mystery [iPod] Meat!"

1. [Oh, dammit! Wouldn't you know it! The first song was "Pressure Cooker" by Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown. It's an instrumental. Let's try again.]

1. Come stumble my mirth beaten worker/I'm Jezmund the family berzerker.

2. In the mist of sassafrass/Many things will come to pass.

3. Well, I'm standing next to a mountain/And I'll chop it down with the edge of my hand.
[Caffe Franje guessed "Voodoo Chile" by Jimi Hendrix. Technically, that's not correct. "Voodoo Chile" is a different song on the same album (Electric Ladyland). The song whose lyrics I quote above is actually "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)." But...since I made the same mistake for nearly twenty years, I'll give Franje credit for this one.]

4. Crimson flames tied through my ears/Rollin' high and mighty traps.

5. When the truth is found to be lies/And all the joy within you dies. [Kudos to The Big Finn (TBF) for correctly guessing "Somebody to Love" by Jefferson Airplane!]

6. When I move, I'm feeling alright/Bing, bing, bang and I'm ready to go.
[If anyone guesses this, then I'll personally fly to their house and eat the insole of their most smelly pair of shoes. And I'll eat it without ketchup.]
[Oh damn! Harsh correctly guessed "No One's Lazy in LazyTown" by Sportacus. I sure hope that Harsh has small feet.]

7. It's been such a long time/ I think I should be goin'.
[If anyone DOESN'T guess this, then they must eat the insole of my two year old running shoes.]
[TBF strikes again, by correctly guessing "Foreplay/Long Time" by Boston! Guess I'll have to let Jasemine eat those shoes.]

8. When I get off of this mountain/You know where I wanna go.
[Lady Di's main squeeze, Gert, correctly guessed "Up on Cripple Creek" by The Band. Lady Di remains unamused.]

9. A cheap holiday in other people's misery!
[TBF shows is punker roots by correctly guessing "Holidays in the Sun" by The Sex Pistols!]

10. Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup.

[Euro-Trac emerges from her hermetically-sealed cocoon in France and correctly guesses "Across the Universe" by that band that need not be mentioned.]


Let's synchronize our watches, shall we? Today is August 24. You have a week to complete this mission.

Good luck, 007...and God's speed.

27 Comments:

At 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without Google, there's no hope for me. I guess I'll have to eat shoe.

*sigh*

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Frank said...

Hmmmmm...I can definitely identify 4 out of 10.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Put your money where your mouth is, Franje.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger The Big Finn said...

Sal -

#1 "Temples of Syrinx" by Rush? Didn't think so...

#4 I think it is Bob Dylan, but I don't know the song title.

#5 is "Somebody To Love" by Jefferson Airplane.

#7 is "Foreplay/Long Time" by Boston.

#9 is "Holidays In The Sun" by the Sex Pistols.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

From the kiwi in Belgium ... 'GOOD LORD!!'

I'll send you a compilation cd I think ...

Gert knew number 8, meanwhile I just have to rethink how I imagined you.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Lady Di: Well...did you REALLY think that I listen to Slim Whitman on my iPod?

Mr. TBF: You are in the lead with three points! You are correct about #5, 7 and 9. And let me tell you...nothing powers a jogger quite as effectively as The Sex Pistols! However, #1 is wrongo on both the song and the artist. As for #4, close but no guitar. Uncle Zimmy did write that as-yet-unnamed song, but he isn't the recording artist (at least, not on MY iPod).

Still, three points isn't bad. And by correctly guessing the Boston tune, you've saved yourself from a very unpleasant encounter with my running shoes.

Sal

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Frank said...

2) Love in an elevator (Aerosmith)

3) Voodoo Chile' (Hendrix)

4)The Bells of St. Rimmey (The Byrds; I think I spelled it incorrectly)

5) Somebody to Love by Jefferson Airplane (really, I already knew that:)

7) Foreplay/LOng Time (Boston)

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Hey Franje:

Thanks for playing "Name That Mystery [iPod] Meat." Here are your results:

#2) Wrongo!

#3) Correct!

#4) Right band, wrong song. Sorry. You get no soup!

#5&7) Correct, but TBF beat you to it. He is slurping up all your soup.

Franje gets one point.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Well Sal ... I didn't know what to think.

Of course, having mocked you gently, I dare not play the game, I'm not sure what 'shuffle' would throw up lol

Yours respectfully
Di

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Oh and ...
8. Up on Cripple Creek - The Band
(courtesy of Gert)

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Wow... I stink at this game!

My birthday is Saturday, and I hope the hints I've dropped will produce an iPod for me. :) In which case, I'll play the game then and reinstate OTR!

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Angie said...

I guess I'll be smelling your running shoes in November...

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Hey Angie, Happy Birthday for Saturday

I was thinking, it's kind of heartening that you don't know any of the songs either ... my idea is that we both burn Sal a cd ... okay Sal? ;)

Your rudest blogee buddy, who fully expects to be mocked for the cd she sends x

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Trac said...

I'm not really here... :O) I'm not blogging or leaving comments just yet (as you can see!?) But...but... Surely someone must have got 'Across the Universe'

They just must have!!?
p.s. Electric Ladyland - Brilliant Album!

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

euro-trac, close but no cigar. Electric Ladyland is the right vintage but "Across the Universe" is from "Let It Be" written by Lennon/McCartney.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Trac said...

Oh Jeff... you don't know me very well do you!?
Obviously E/Ladyland and Let it be are entirely different artists and albums! But the lyrics to 'trac' 10 are Across The Universe.. I didn't think I had to actually name the band... quite obvious really!

I was just saying that E/Ladyland was a great album, while I was here.. which it is! :O)

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true that I don't know you but I checked out your blog at "Another Girl, Another Planet!" and I'm starting to put together a picture.

But in any case Sal stated the rules clearly: "You, gentle readers, must correctly guess each song and its artist."

You may have guessed the artist but failed to mention your guess. Sal said "guess the song and the artist" not "guess the song and the artist and other people's guesses"

So I claim the point on a technicality.

Also let me apologize for a missed opportunity for a rare Spanish/English tapas pun. I should have said:

"Close but no cigalas."

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Trac said...

hehehehe - Jeff! Or can I call you PJ?? (Pedantic Jeff!?) - You can win then! I'd rather you win than have to say who recorded 'Across he Universe' anyway! :O)

Hi Sal, btw!

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would prefer Precise Jeff.

Pedantic would be if I chastised you for mentioning the album when it wasn't requested.

My office is near the old Electric Ladyland studio. I'll try to get by in the next couple of days and get a picture. I think it's may still be a recording studio but the psychedelic front door has been replaced.

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Hey! What is this? I come back from work and find that a war has broken out between Trac and Jeff?

I see that I'll need to mediate this matter. But is it really mediation? No...the VTB is a dictatorship, and I'm the dictator. So, here is my decree.

Jeff...you are a welcome addition to our little tribe because...well, you work a block from Electric Ladyland. That's akin to living a block from Graceland which, as we all know, pulls a lot of weight in these here parts. However...

Even a dictator knows better than to cross Euro-Trac. She correctly guessed that song 10 was "Across the Universe." And she correctly noted that no rational person need be reminded that its a Beatles song. She knew it, and I knew she knew it. So, Trac gets a point.

As for her Electric Ladyland reference, it was just a reference to my comment in song 3. Euro-Trac would never make that mistake.

Hey, Lady Di. I'm looking forward to receiving your Greatest New Zealand Hits CD. Yeah...I love Midnight Oil, Men at Work and Waltzing Matilda!

Angie, I'll spare you my jogging shoes. After all, you weren't even born when any of these songs were recorded.

 
At 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sal,

Thanks for the clarification. As a New Yorker I wasn't going to go down fighting. You of course are the judge here.

Hopefully you're in bed by now. It's 10PM here in New York and I don't plan on being awake much longer.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Trac said...

And as a Brit, I wasn't going to mention the name of that band! hahaha...

Too Funny - both PJ and you Sal! :O) x

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Well Sal ... she writes wrinkling her nose some, I wasn't actually going to send you NZ music ... I was going to dig deep into all music I've loved and send you a collection that will probably leave you imagining me hmmm ... well what's that polite word ... 'eclectic' (when all other words fail).

Sigh, you will mock me ... it's inevitable really ... I guess I could always claim, 'I dont have your postal addess' ;)

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Marc said...

Hahahaha,
I've only heard this because a friend has kids

Don't know the artist sal, but "no one's lazy in lazy town"

Cheers ( btw I've started blogging again)

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Trac said...

OK - I'm a bit drunk!
If #4 isn't a Dylan song as previously suggested and I thought so too... Perhaps The Ramones!

The lyrics seem familiar, but like I said... I'm a bit drunk! hahahaha...

Where's Precise Jeff when you need him?

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Trac:

LOL...I can't tell you how much I've missed you here in the VTB Chat Lounge. And I say that after having downed two glasses of Shiraz myself.

As to #4, yes...Dylan wrote the song. Nooooo...he did not perform it. At least, not on my iPod...and not in its most well-known version. C'mon, Trac. Don't be a Byrdbrain. You can figure it out.

Sal

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#4: My Back Pages - The Byrds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home