Sunday, October 01, 2006

CRACKING THE COCONUT.


There are some people whose only taste of COCONUT during their entire lives was within the context of an Almond Joy or Raspberry Zinger.

Come to think of it, that still sounds like a pretty damn good life. But a true coco-head really should try this ambrosia in its purest state.

So this afternoon, my daughter--who, BTW, loves COCONUT almost as much as I do--and I created this short tutorial. But before I begin, let me put your minds at ease. The victim in this tutorial was not Captain Coconut. It was a stunt double.

So, let's get started.

Step 1: Take a COCONUT, a hammer and a Phillips-head screwdriver. Then, reenact that famous scene from "Oedipus Rex." Yes, that's right...you must drive that screwdriver through two of the COCONUT'S eyes. No, it's not necessary that the COCONUT in question marry his mother. Drain the liquid from the COCONUT and drink it, or something.


Step 2: Roast the whole COCONUT in a 375ºF oven for twenty minutes.


Step 3: When cool, grab that hammer again and crack the COCONUT.


Step 4: Peel the dark brown skin off of the outside of the COCONUT flesh.


Step 5: Crunch away, amigos.

11 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Hey thanks! I didn't know what one did with coconuts (and you were starting to frighten me).

Loved your beautiful assistant ... or were you the beautiful assistant and she was teacher?

Back in my world, were you talking about this Frank Zappa http://www.stars-celebrites.com/wallpapers/Z/zappa.htm

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Lady Di:

There's only one Frank Zappa, and that's him.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

You're a font of interesting things I never knew ...

Never knew about cooking coconut ... only heard whispers of Zappa.

A sheltered life clearly.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Okay, so maybe ... I put them side by side.

But the dog, you mean the black and white dog ... or did you just throw your hands up in the air at my wrong choice?

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

OK! Just to prove that I'm not crazy...

Hey, Trac! Do me a favor, please. Go here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/woman_wandering/257611935/ ), take a look at the black and white dog on the right, and tell me which famous musician it looks like.

Sal

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Trac said...

hahaha looks like Frank to me! But stranger still, the other dog reminds me of Keith Moon for some reason!?

Well... it's late - you know how it is! :O)

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too funny with your coconut obsession. Your daughter is gorgeous! And, quite the little *ham*!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Keith Moon ... dear god, I'm in the big kids playground.

Who are these people and where was I?

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger christina said...

Aww, Inés is just such a little doll! Future spokesmodel for sure.

I've cracked open many a coconut but I didn't know one was supposed to roast it first. Is that a must, or does it just taste better that way?

And that dog at Di's certainly DOES look like Frank Zappa. I know because when I was growing up, my parents had a summer cottage with this charming poster stuck on the back of the bathroom door. The image of Frank's face (among other things)has been etched into my memory for good!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Hey Christina:

Thanks. I'm kinda fond of Inés, too.

I'm not sure why my Thai cookbook instructs to roast the coconut first. I've never tried it the other way. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that perhaps a short roasting makes it easier to separate the meat from the shell.

Speaking of guess, did you know that The Guess Who is a Canadian band.

Speaking of bands (or more precisely, band leaders), Zappa. Well...much like his music, Frank's sense of humor could be...uneven. A poster like that in a summer cottage is enough to make a kid look forward to going back to school in September.

Sal

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

That's what you get from posting a comment this late: You get to repeat what others already said :-)

I also go from step 1 to step 3 directly, but I think you could be right about it being easier to peel the skin off afterwards.

And Inés is one sweet "coconut"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home