Saturday, October 14, 2006

FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH.

Late last night (which, coincidentally, was Friday the thirteenth), our good friend Lisa left a Comment in the VTB Chat Lounge that had all the earmarks of a true-life horror movie.

She claimed that she once had a COCONUT in her kitchen, and...and...and...it exploded!

Well...my initial reaction was that this fantastic tale had nothing to do with the COCONUT next to Lisa’s kitchen stove...and everything to do with the mushrooms next to her Pink Floyd CD Box Set.

But being the investigative journalist that I am, I launched a quick Google search on the term “exploding COCONUT.”

And I’ll be damned! It has happened to others as well.

This changed the equation for me. I mean...having an exploding COCONUT do grievous harm to my body is one thing. But having one do grievous harm to my Italian-made Arrital kitchen cabinets is quite another.

So I broke-out the heavy machinery tonight and performed triple lobotomies on all four of my tasty little ticking time bombs. Three of them are roasting in the oven as I type these words.

The King, however, has NOT left the building. I’ve simply grown too fond of his sneer and mutton chops to even consider turning him into a chutney.

And besides, Trac would have my ass if I did.

So...does all this mean that my passion for COCONUT has ended?

Hell no! It’s just means that we’ll have to take [ahem!] prophylactic measures during future encounters.

Besides, nothing stimulates the passion quite like a little danger.

14 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Lordy lordy ... there was me, having a serious downer and you made me laugh so hard on the inside.

Damn your eyes Detraglia, you are outrageously funny!! :)

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger christina said...

See??? THIS is why I keep coming back.

Thank god for power tools. If you got killed by an exploding coconut, who would make me laugh?

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Trac said...

Oh Sal!

I've had a really crap day and you are the only person over 9 years old that has made me laugh today!

Brilliant!

But...

...I'm really paranoid about coconuts now. I shall never forgive myself if you (or your kitchen) end up all shook up because of The King!

You're really just too funny! :O)
x

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

Forget about the coconuts! Where did you get that mask? You just "happened to have it on hand"?

And, what a pose! Muscles and agility all in one - cirque du soleil is waiting - bring the mask, too!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Lady Di: After trolling through the various expat blogs, it seems that everyone (e.g., Trac, Cream, you) had a downer of a day, yesterday. People should quit fixating on Friday the 13th and worry more about Saturday the 14th. BTW...is it true that the phrase "three dog night" is Kiwi? Seriously, that's what I've heard. Perhaps last night was a "three COCONUT night"...for different reasons, of course.

Christina: Your recipe for COCONUT chutney couldn't have come at a better time. And BTW...I have no fear of exploding COCONUTS. However...squirting habaneros DO give me pause for cause.

Trac: The King has been lobotomized. He has three holes hidden beneath those stylish shades. I think there is something to this explosion thing. When I pierced the first hole into all four COCONUTS, there was an audible "Pffffft." And hey...it wasn't me! The liquid inside the COCONUT must emit a gas over time...the gas expands and puts outward pressure on the COCONUT shell...and sooner or later...BADDA-BOOM! That's my theory, although admittedly my science skills are nearly as bad as my math.

BeeP: What?! You don't have a hockey mask in your house? Are you also implying that hockey isn't a popular passtime here in sunny Spain? And most significantly, have you really forgotten all about THIS?

Sal

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Pam said...

I can't decide if I should call child protective services or hit on you.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Pam:

In my own defense, it was a fully-licensed hand-drill.

Sal

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

What a pose! Have you been watching Spiderman?? And the hockey mask, I love it. BTW, coconuts contain sugar in the water and it fermentates and creates a pressure. I'm sure you figured that one out, right? BANG! Heheh!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

C-Swiss:

I guess there was some lingering impact from all those years of karate and kung-fu as a kid, after all. Note the perfect 90º placement of the feet. That would win me a trophy in some tournaments.

BTW...isn't alcohol a by-product of fermenting sugar? Cha-ching!!! 'Scuse me while I return to the supermarket.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

The COCONUT of Quendor?! Jesus, is this what I've been missing while I've been wasting time reading Dickens!

And don't covet my kitchen. If you look closely, you'll note that the kitchen island opens into a pull-out bed.

Don't ask about the portable shower.

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger nyana said...

I am so sorry for your loss.
It's one thing to have potentially explosive "darlings" in your kitchen, it's another to have a psycho-italian-kitchen-cabinet-killer pulling spidey on your counter tops.
*sigh*
Sal, I know life can get complicated some times but you just have to hang in there.
What does Lisa Marie have to say about this?

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My chem prof's wife was cutting a watermelon for a dinner party & as she inserted the knife, the watermelon exploded! It too, as the coconut, had begun to ferment & the rind had kept the gasses contained; the knife explosively released the pressure & she had to choose a different outfit & of course her kitchen was completely coated in watermelon bits. Good material for chem class, though.

-- DJG

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murdered two coconut cookies this evening!

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW: I’d rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy. (Groooooan - I know, but it had to be said.)

-- DJG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home