Friday, November 03, 2006

AND NOW FOR A POST OF UNSPEAKABLE BANALITY.

In a fit of post-divorce redecorating, I bought a new dining room table.

Why am I telling you this? Well, there are several reasons:

1. My brain—and in particular, that creative hunk of it with the Latin name—is barely running on fumes these days. Tossing-off an unspeakably banal post about an article of furniture seemed like an easy way to fulfill my semi-weekly publishing obligation.

2. This table spurred an interesting conversation with the woman who sold it to me. I bought it at a plant/tree nursery in town. They had no mosaic tables in stock, but agreed to place an order with the distributor. The saleswoman informed that they sell very, very few mosaic tables. I asked why? She said that Spaniards much prefer those hideous, molded-concrete table/bench combinations for their outdoor patios. But, I said, this table isn’t for my outdoor patio. It’s for my dining room. She looked at me as if I had offered to cook and eat her first-born child. Then she said, “Oh, no...nobody puts these tables indoors.” Go figure!

3. I have the same table—albeit, a smaller, round version—in my kitchen...and Angie has mentioned several times how much she loves it. So...there, Ang. This one’s for you.

4. And finally....that hairy little brown sphere in the middle of the table provides me with the perfect segway to say something of great importance: COCONUT!

OK! Now I can enter the weekend with a clear conscience.

13 Comments:

At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a lovely table. Yes to the cushions..a long dinner on those seats would be very ouch.

Lovely coconut too. Swish touch.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger christina said...

Who are you going to believe, the Spaniards or Indiana's Most Trusted Journalist? I agree with Kurt and Wendz - it's a great table and looks perfect indoors.

P.S. The new kitchen floor is going to look exactly like your tile floor. You may just become an interior decorating icon! :-)

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Kurt: You crack me up. Yeah, I'm sure that I'm straight. But believe me, you're not the first person to question that.

Kurt and Wendz: The chairs are actually from my kitchen. But I needed something for the photo. I have a set earmarked in the IKEA catalog--and I'm fairly certain that they're more ass-friendly than my iron maidens.

Christina: The buck always stops are Indiana's most trusted journalist. And congratulations on your excellent taste in kitchen floors. You'll very happy with them. Dirt does NOT show on those floors. And yes, I accept the icon offer. I look forward to seeing myself in the form of a bobble-head doll on your car's dashboard some day.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

Sal you make a grown woman giggle, what on earth is your coconut wearing you coconutty? Just read yesterdays comment, that was a long one! I love my little french black bulldog too even though it farts like a big black bull, do they fart in general... Yes I am rambling now coconutty man, have a good weekend and I promise to do my sidebar...

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Tat:

As for you bulldog's gastro-intestinal problems...you might want to consider feeding him something other than cassoulet.

Sal

PS: I don't know the answer to your big black bull question, but I wouldn't want to be holding a kite if it were to happen.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

So, Lisa. I take it that you don't like my table.

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if the King of Coconuts likes your table, then that's just fine by me!

I've got an 'inside' table in my garden! That's not such a good idea..
x

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

That ... my lovely blogging buddy, is a very sexy table.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Hey, euro trac posted a zappa song ... I'm being educated about my previous dog post look-alike.

http://euro-trac.blogspot.com/2006/11/another-one-bites-dust.html

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Lady Di:

"Sexy table?!" Damn! I'm going move it to my bedroom.

BTW...thanks for publicizing Trac's Zappa tribute. I had a hand in lobbying for that, so I feel somewhat like a proud Papa. I hope everybody satisfied his Zappatite today.
al

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Oh, I'm late to my own decorating party! I love it! I would SO put that table indoors. And your centerpiece is quite lovely!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Sal DeTraglia said...

Hey Lisa:

I wanted to leave a comment on our blog, but it requires me to sign-up for Window Live ID (whatever that is).

Anyway, it all makes sense after seeing your latest blog entry. I (obviously) feel the same way about mosaic--but especially the Barcelona-style of using irregularly shaped and colored hunks of tile (called "trencadis," I believe). Your birdbath is a beautiful example of that. It would fit in perfectly at Parc Guell; as would you.

Yeah...Gaudi was the greatest.

Sal

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Sexy table moved to the bedroom ... there was simply nothing I could say first time I read that lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home